ALTC Logo

Club History


The tennis club was originally formed in the early 1900's in Albert Park as part of the Abingdon Croquet and Tennis Club. In Albert Park, club members played tennis on four grass courts. In the mid 1980's we moved to our current location, The Southern Town Park off Lambrick Way, Abingdon. Here the facilities expanded to six all-weather courts, all of which are now floodlit to allow tennis to be played all-year-round up to 10 p.m. every day.


1914 Earliest records go back to this time when the club was founded at Albert Park, Abingdon
1970's Ran successful exchange visits to European clubs
1986 Club moved to Southern Town Park
1988 Floodlights installed
1991 First Open LTA Junior Tournament
1992 Jo Durie visits the Club
1997 First Open LTA Adult Tournament
2001 Floodlights extended from three to six courts
2001 Full adult and junior development programme introduced and LTA Club Ratings introduced